From: Ron Jones <rjones2000@sbcglobal.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Legacy seat cushions/Knee clearance
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 17:09:56 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Another mod that helps GREATLY with shin clearance are the Thorn Rudder Pedals. These allow you to remove the now unneeded raised floor panels. The improvement in leg room is nothing short of dramatic. You wouldn't think that only lowering the floor a couple inches would be so significant, but it truly is. The genesis of this product was to find enough leg room for taller pilots, but even average height folks will like it.

Of course, this project is easier if done while building. Still, I did it after the fact, and I am really, really pleased with it. The ability to stretch one's legs (all the way to the firewall) makes a huge difference on long flights. You can even cross your legs. I could NEVER do this before installing these rudder pedals. Now, my Legacy has fantastic looks, visibility, speed, handling, efficiency, and it is COMFORTABLE!

Sufficient leg room is like the final (only?) design issue that needed to be addressed. These rudder pedals totally take care of that last remaining item.

Ron Jones
Legacy

On Feb 22, 2013, at 1:50 PM, Steve Colwell wrote:

The minimum behind your cheeks seat clearance can be obtained with Oregon Aero’s custom fit, computer cut, temper foam cushions for the Legacy.  The shape of the aft spar/seat pan is more complex than most upholstery shops can fit.  Several Legacies have been refitted with the Oregon Aero cushions for comfort alone. http://www.oregonaero.com/products/lancair-legacy-un-upholstered-cushion-core   Not cheap, but less expensive than doing it twice.

Steve Colwell  Legacy

I agree.  Removing the back seat cushion is SOP when chauffeuring anyone over ~6'2"

Joe Czabaranek

Excuse me if I am telling you something you already know… but my experience is that a thinner seat BACK had a much great impact on the knee-to-panel clearance.  My initial experiments with seat bottom cushion were disappoint, and then one day I modified the seat back cushion and my situation was greatly improved.

Matt