From: Charles Brown <browncc1@verizon.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] G900 and Sorcerer
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 07:42:19 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Jon makes a very good point that I had forgotten, about structure.  The Lancair panel blank with huge cutouts for the displays and audio panel, and the LRU rack, truly lack any significant structural strength and if simply rested on the center console and the sidewall mounts, I feel sure it would flex a lot in steep turns or turbulence.  I designed a support consisting of two struts mounted on the center console at the nosewheel tunnel, supporting a horizontal aluminum angle/beam that supports the LRU rack.  And there's a rubber pad on the upper side of the angle for vibration isolation.  Pic enclosed.  I have not had any issues with panel flex or vibration.  (not sure anyone else has either; just saying mine happens to work)  -- Charley
Second pic enclosed -- initial fit check.  Note that the panel is as far forward as possible on the center console, and still my knees barely clear.  It's worse with typical seat pads.  My passengers' knees have hit the autopilot up/down switch on occasion, which is REALLY interesting when it happens on a coupled approach.  This is a go-around signal (whether you hit up OR down) and the Sorceror immed commands 500 fpm climb.

On Feb 20, 2013, at 7:28 PM, Jon Socolof wrote:

...It’s heavy for a Legacy and requires a lot of thought to support the panel. ...

Jon