From: <cwfmd@yahoo.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: "Help, I'm locked in, and can't get out" Re: new evo trouble
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 10:33:06 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
It's surprising that the new EVOlution missed the opportunity to fix, such a well known failure mode, at least to the 4-P operators. Getting locked in your cockpit can be a significant safety hazard, in an emergency egress scenario. You don't discover the problem until the end of the flight. If we knew this condition existed, before takeoff, would we continue a flight, without any egress option?

This has happened, when someone locks the keylock with one latch open, as is often the case after a flight.
 Then, the pilot.forgot
                     "Keylock position:     Check" ,     on exterior preflight,
 Since somebody has prelocked the latch, the pilot's locked in, without any interior release.  It's just like when you forgot to unfasten the child safety lock in your car. Only, a car has other doors to get out through (1).... (There are three BIG design errors here: that you can "prelock" the latch this way, that there's no indication or warning to the next pilot or crew, and no inside release! ) Some might suggest an alternative escape hatch as required on FAA certified USDA stuff. This is why there's a pressurized baggage door in the EVO.

You can get out, if you can remove upholstery covers, to access the nut on the lock, if you brought your tools, and they are in the cabin with you. (In some arrangements the dual handles obstruct the upholstery cover, making egress even more heroic.)  Usually take 20-40 minutes, which can get hot on the ramp, in summer. We have left a few bloodstains on some of the sharper parts and spring loaded stuff.
 An alternative is to hide your spare key and then entertain the line crew when you taxi up, with signs, hand signals, yelling instructions, and red face. This has happened once at Santa Fe to an anonymous 4-P operator, but at least it was discovered, before takeoff,

Note(0): Above scenarios brought to you, from multiple 4-P projects, with the original key lock installed.

Note (1) Mangled grammar, by non-English Major... reminds me of Garrison Keeler's joke, after rough landing an airliner, after the pilot keeled over.

Tower: Who taught you to land?
Keeler: I'm an English major.                                 (ie: not a pilot)
Tower: By whom were you taught to land?