From: N20087 <n20087@yahoo.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Piston oil cooling jets
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 08:39:59 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Steve

Thanks for your input.  How did you get a good contoured finish on the inlets?  Did you make fibre glass rings and then bond them into the larger holes and finish with micro? I was thinking of putting in Will James cowl rings which give a nice aluminum finish and a 4inch I'd

Yes I am all too aware of lycomings recommendations regarding CHTs .... I am living proof of it :(

I have already sent my cylinders to eci for rework.  The cerminil cylinders are a bitch to hone in the field

Thanks

Tom

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 7, 2012, at 6:15 PM, steve <n5276j@aol.com> wrote:

Tom,

I have a 360 straight valve with 10:1 pistons,fuel injected with a slightly bigger oil cooler then normal. I increased my inlet air to four inches and a stock RV baffling system sealed tight.My exit air is 3"x 17. If not careful (too lean) on hot days I can go over 400 on takeoff/climb out on a hot day. However if I level off/ reduce power/rpm  I can stop the CHTS from going over 400, Once  cooled down (stabilized) from the takeoff I can resume full power/climb and manage the temps just fine. I never run my engine over 400 chts.

 I recently ran a race in Pogosa Springs Co. it was 150 miles. I ran wide open and 2650rpms, I controlled the chts with fuel and never went over 390. The oil peaked at 210, I averaged 254 mph. I do not have ney nossils nor a Plenum just a tight stock RV baffling system. I expect lower CHTS once I build a nose gear door for the bottom cowl opening that has to be upsetting the exit air from the strut opening. I also see a plenum in the future as I clean-up cooling drag that might allow me to close down inlet and exit air. But for now My cooling is fine

Lycon warns not to go over 400 for break-in. Doing so puts you at great risk of glazing the cylinders and annealing the rings, which will cause blow-by, burning oil. Thus causing the cylinders to run hotter. This is what I would suspect is your results.

Splitting the case and installing Ney nossils is not the answer in my opion. If your baffling system is correctly done with 4" inlets and adequate exit air you should not have a problem, just control the heat on climb out,if you install ney nossils it may help but its the wrong band-aid at a high price.

It sounds to me that you will need to re-ring and hone the cylinders and try the break-in again. Fall is here and cooler outside temps will aid in the break-in just remember do not go over 400 on the break-in.

steve alderman   25SA   360