From: N20087 <n20087@yahoo.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Piston oil cooling jets
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 12:34:28 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
> Folks

This is addressed to the hard core engine experts on the forum.  I would love your feedback on this

I am considering having my io360 crankcase modified so that I can install piston cooling jets which are standard in 200hp engines.  The reason being, I have had to take aircraft out of service twice, once at 80 hrs and now at 160 due to lousy break-in and high CHTs. I have done all the obvious stuff such as plenum, timing, plugs, flowed the fuel servo to the rich side, baffles etc.. I am running 9:1 eci cerminil cylinders and they will hit 430 on climb out.  They went to 450 twice in the initial break-in. They will run 370 in 75% cruise and 340 lop

All this aside, the pistons at 80 hrs (both times) were coated in dark varnish under the crown and the top of the crowns were heavily carbonized from oil blowback

I am just getting tired of it and don't want to pul the engine apart again anytime soon after this downturn

So,,,I am wondering if anybody has any experience or data concerning the cooling benefits of the piston oil nozzles.  Ie is it 5 degrees or 20+

Also, I am debating whether to split the crankcase myself or take the closed case (jugs and every accessory removed) with con rods still attached to the local shop and have them split the case, do the machining and reassemble.  The shop is very very reputable but of course the cost will be higher if I get them to do the breakdown and reassembly

As another cooling remediation measure I was thinking of opening up the cowl inlets to 4 inches but a little reluctant due to the increased drag and limited benefit.  I added an electric cowl flap by the way and achieved only a 2 degree CHT improvement in climb at 130 knots Go figure!

Again, any feedback on my plan here would appreciated

Thanks in advance

Tom