From: <DARUS47959@aol.com>
Subject: ZEHRBACH engines, Ceramic engine parts, etc.
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 16:19:38 EDT
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I was asked at Oshkosh by readers of this list who visited our exhibit to
post the race results of customers running ZEHRBACH engines in the AirVenture
cup from Kitty Hawk to Oshkosh.  Customers took:
    1st place in the Sports class - Lee Behel, normally aspirated QVenture.
    1st place in Formula RG - Dick Keyt, Polen Special
    2 nd place overall for the race - Lee Behel
    3 rd place in Sprint class - Jack Watson, LongEZ

Lee Behel's normally aspirated QVenture with the Continental blew off Jim
Rahm's turbocharged Engine Air V8 and finished just behind Orion Riddel in
the factory Lancair IV with a 4 mph gap between Riddel and Behel.

I had expected Dick Keyt with the Polen Special to score an overall win, not
just in class.  With the mods in place Dick reported running 60 degrees
Celcius cooler than before the mods.  The cooler temperatures allowed Dick to
run 20 mph faster than before. However, in the last minute, pre race, prep
his crew had run the #2 cylinder spark plug wires such that they could work
their way against the exhaust and burn  through before the end of the race.
As a result, any time Dick ran up the manifold pressure the engine started
misfiring.  Still, a first place trophy in class was good against the White
Lightning and Lancair 360s he ran against.

Jack Watson recorded the largest jump in power and speed with a 27 mph speed
increase after our mods.  He was beaten by a slightly lighter and more
slippery Varieze.  After the race Jack ordered our electronic fuel injection
and ignition system for his aircraft and vowed to be first next year.

All in all, we had 6 customer aircraft on display at Oshkosh instead of the 7
expected with 3 of the 7 in the winners row for the Venture Cup.  Anyone who
wishes to talk to the customers and to check their pre race test data is
welcome to email or call me for their addresses, phone numbers, etc or to
contact them directly.  Test data from other third party tests are also
available such as the offer to the list by customer Richard Perry of all of
his test data for his +250 Glasair I.

Lee Behel will have his Questaire in the Reno Sports class race in Sept. as
the next race entry.  Three of the non trophy scoring Venture Cup racers who
did not run a ZEHRBACH engine has ordered for next year so we hope to take
the first place in all of the classes with the new customer aircraft and a
move up by Watson  the Sprint class, and the Lancair IV with our direct
drive, liquid cooled V8 running the race in the unlimiteds race.  Keyt will
probably face competition next year from a Lancair 360 owner who is planning
on racing his 360 with a ZEHRBACH engine in it that is turbocharged,
electronic fuel injected, liquid cooled, and fitted with the ceramics.

Thanks for stopping in at Oshkosh.

Darus Zehrbach

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/Users/Mkaye/maillist.html
LML Builders' Bookstore:   http://www.buildersbooks.com/lancair