From: Robert R Pastusek <rpastusek@htii.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Floatation Devices (or full survival gear) flying over the Great Lakes
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 09:39:35 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Jeff,

My flights over/around the Great Lakes have been principally to/from OSH, and up to Thunder Bay, Ontario. As you have already determined, flight at 14-15,000' in an IV-P will keep you within gliding range of a land just about anywhere over the lakes area. I do not, therefore, carry flotation gear during those infrequent flights. If I lived near, and flew over the water regularly, I would probably keep at least inflatable vests in the cockpit.

When we flew to the Caymens last year, and for other planned over-water journeys, I've borrowed both a raft and inflatable vests for the trips. Having had to don this type of gear in practice during AF water survival training, I am a believer that you need to be wearing it while flying if you intend to use it. This is borne out by experience within the Air Force...if it's not on, and you are not well versed in its use, it probably won't be of help in an emergency.

My two cents...

Bob Pastusek