From: Colyn Case <colyncase@earthlink.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] paint a practical point of view
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 11:44:06 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Tom,

suggest you contact Brad Simmons who is on top of latest PPG products including the anti-static.

I used their anti-static on the glass parts of my plane only.  On a IV-P that's the wingtips, antenna area, and parts of the tail.
My purpose was to get the static to migrate to the wick.   Thorough bonding of the control surfaces is necessary to get that to work.

Colyn

On Jul 30, 2012, at 1:52 PM, <bronnenmeier@GROBSYSTEMS.COM> <bronnenmeier@GROBSYSTEMS.COM> wrote:

Tom,

I want to put one more thought in your head to make your decision even more difficult (and others probably don’t agree with this):

I painted my 4P with automotive base coat/clear coat metallic artic silver (same as my beloved old Porsche 911). I then used laser cut two color vinyl stickers for the N number (you can get all the designs and colors you can imagine there). I got chills  (and still do) when I look down these bold and sexy curves of this airplane and no color change interrupts this beautiful design. With clear coat you can get that mirror shine image and I was so proud that I can lay a flash light on my wing tip and the reflection that I see down the wing is almost a straight line with almost no zic zac in it.

After almost 200 hours of flying I learned:
-          If you really use your plane there will most likely be some damage to your paint. Some primer/filler might shrink (quick temperature changes because you are coming down 25000 ft in 15 min), you might get some small stress cracks because you are pulling several g’s (you might find it is so much fun flying down the run way with 240 kts and pulling it straight up or rolling your plane up –side-down), you might get some IFR damage around your cowl from going in the rain, your door might slam down on you, your wife or friend might drop something on the wing while getting in (oops)…. I think you are getting the picture…
-          Most likely you will need to do some repair on your paint at some point of time. If you use metallic paint u need a very  gifted painter to blend it in perfect (fortunately I have one and he doesn’t live far away). Base coat/clear coat is more hassle to fix. Paint schemes ad more complexity to the repair
-          Vinyl does not come off if it is not used on the front part of the cowl. I have not seen any static problems with it. When I did a window repair I peeled half of the vinyl off we repaired the paint and I ordered the same vinyl again (they are usually laser cut and they keep the CNC programs on file) – around corners you might peel of the paint when removing the vinyl and not being careful

If I would do it again I would be really torn between  an appealing sexy metallic paint scheme and a one stage boring white with vinyl designs that is simple to fix and easier to maintain flawless over a longer period of time

If I overestimate the advantages of plane boring white (because I have not experienced it in real life) please let me know…

Ralf