From: Bill Harrelson <n5zq@verizon.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: LNC2 fuel system
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 13:09:54 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Guys,

Here’s the schematic for a simple automatic header tank system. The relay can be anything from a Radio Schlock 5 buck part to the Perihelion Designs PowerLink (http://www.periheliondesign.com/powerlinkjr.htm). I used the PowerLink in our IV  (yes, I put a header tank in the IV) and I have a mechanical relay in our 320. For this purpose, the magnetic float switches from Spruce work best. The diode can be any small, light duty R.S. diode. The diode is to prevent the pumps from being powered through the float switches. These are light duty switches and are, in my opinion, only suitable for small current loads such as closing the relay.

The momentary push button labeled “auto fill” is so that you can start the fill sequence before the low float activates.

Once the low float makes contact the pump(s) will stay on until the high float switch breaks contact. The pumps will remain off until the low float makes contact once again. This prevents the pumps from cycling rapidly as fuel sloshes. To further lessen any effect of fuel sloshing, I made a little baffle box around the float switches .

I also recommend a crossfeed valve.  The lines from the wing tanks are both routed along the floor under the seats to a ball valve mounted on the floor (low point in the fuel system). The transfer pumps are teed off the lines on either side of the crossfeed valve. I drilled and tapped an aluminum rod and safetied it onto the valve shaft. the rod then runs up through the console where I turned it down to accept a knob. In the event of a single transfer pump failure, opening this valve allows fuel to gravity flow due to wing dihedral. All of the fuel from both wings can be pumped by either pump.

Bill Harrelson
N5ZQ 320 2,050 hrs
N6ZQ  IV under construction