From: John Hafen <j.hafen@comcast.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Re: Necessity of A/C in IV-P? IV-P still beats EA50
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 08:18:08 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

Dr. Katz:

I’m glad your Evo is everything you thought it should be.  As it should be for several times the price of an IVP.

Have you taken a ride in an Avanti?  I think you’d like it.

Cheers,

John Hafen

Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 10:39 AM
To: lml@lancaironline.net

interesting comments John:

let me point out a few differences:

I have seen many IV-P's in my career, I pay attention to all of them

I even watched a guy in the dallas area hire a bunch of roofers build 4 IV-P's in succesion until the FAA got him out of the business.

Every one is a bit different and depending in who built it the quality changes.

I spent 6 years with a mechanical engineer with expertise on aircraft adhesives as my main builder assist with whom I spent the entire 6 years doing my IV.

In contrast all Evo's are factory matched, built with factory assistance, no chance of leaving the plastic protective layer in prior to hysol (like one unfortunate mexican builder who did not know about that layer and the airplane had to be trashed)

all evos flying have been built (with one or 2 exceptions) with major factory supervision

power plant is usually a well know PW with years of experience and no shock cooling or cylinder unexpected failures (or crankshaft separation) or worries about who used LOP or ROP etc etc etc.

the airplane is not demanding in landing (I land mine at 70 kts with no trouble) so you wont see the deadly stall in turn to downwind scenarios.

I wont hesitate to purchase an used Evo any time

I will certainly hesitate a lot about buying an used IV-P for the above reason

but I have been wrong in my life so many times that I would not dare put a cent in aviation. Flying is fun to me so far

and I have not been paid by the factory to say all this.

ak

From: "John Hafen" <j.hafen@comcast.net>

Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 07:51:20 -0400

Well, perhaps because the Evo costs 3X what my IVP costs.

Why don’t you try a Citation, or a Gulfstream?

John Hafen

IVP 413AJ 400 Hours

Sent: Friday, May 04, 2012 9:13 AM
To: lml@lancaironline.net

why dont you try an evo

i get 300+ to 310 at 28k usually run 28 gph and goes 1500 miles

check flightaware for mine redmond dallas non stop with 15 kts tailwind

landed with 40 gallons

the final a/c after the guys at lancair diddled with it and placed an additional air cooler in front of the cowling works perfectly i even have a fresh air modulator now

beats the hell of the eclipse and the new garmin a/p works as magic instead of the

*%#* sorcerer