From: Christian Meier <lancair@meier.cc>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] L320 flap setting
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 20:55:46 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Scott,
this is very interesting!
Could you write down some more flap positions which you use for take off and landing in different take-off weight configurations.
And also when you arrive in the landing-circuit in cruise speed. How best to slow down to flap speed in the downwind.

Actually when I arrive from cruise, I put the engine to idle pull nose up to reach 120kt drop gear, set flaps to +10 (17 from full reflex)
and drop nose and put back low power setting. After all this I get my 100kt and turn to base leg. In final I use +20 / +25 and will also land
in this setting. My runway is 700m long and has a 1% down slope and is located in 2200ft alt. If I use more flaps to land the plane won't sit down.
Speed over the fence is 90-85kts because of shear winds just before the runway...
What speeds do you use in short final?

Does it help to stick some gap seals over the hinges of flap and aileron like all the gliders do?

Christian
OE-CCM

Am 16.04.2012 um 14:13 schrieb Sky2high@aol.com:

Ed, Rob, et al,

The purpose of reflexed flaps (wing TE) is for reduction of drag at cruise speeds.  After certain minimum speeds, induced drag is lessened by reducing lift through a reflexed TE (also reducing anti lift at the horiz stab).  Parasitic drag in a laminar flow environment may also be reduced by reattaching the airflow at the reflexed flap.  The basic fat wing design helps when the leading edge gets dirty (disrupts laminar flow) because lift is only slightly reduced but draq increases (ice, rain, bugs - see note 1).  This is as opposed to a thin laminar wing which may lose lift when dirty.  The fat wings allows our grocery cart wheels to be stowed within.

When the flap is reflexed, the point of lift moves forward where higher speeds require more nose down trim (less negative AOA at the horiz stab) and lower speeds require a higher angle of attack to achieve adequate lift.  In general, below a max Vf (160 to 140 KIAS), the flaps may be taken out of reflex (to 0 degrees) where the attitude of the airplane can be changed by up to 6 degrees nose down (as measured digitally at the longeron) and this will require substantial nose up trim for level flight while the speed drops (about 15 KIAS) from increased drag.  For this wing, further reflexing beyond -7 has little effect on speed in cruise (Note 2).

This form of wing is not unique - reflexed trailing edges are used in all tailless (and non-canard) aircraft.  In such aircraft, changes in CG are compensated for by changing the angle of reflex (changes fwd/aft point of lift).  Remember that the same is true with the 200/300 series wings. (hint: aft CG wallow may be reduced by taking a bit of reflex out of the wing).  Remember also that slow speed operation with flaps fully reflexed requires a high AOA to compensate for the reduction in lift from the reflex.  Be careful out there.

Max lift, min drag at 70-100 KIAS is with the flaps at TO position (about +10 degrees down from full reflex).  After about +17 degrees down from full reflex, the flaps seem to merely add drag that is useful in higher than 3 degree descent angles (preservation of kinetic energy) - keeping the speed controlled (below 100 KIAS) at low power settings and also keeping the nose low.

Maybe next time I will record AOA digital display data in some of these configurations.

Scott Krueger
N92EX

Note 1: In an Air Venture x-ctry race, KARR was a turning checkpoint that required I descend over the monitor.  In that descent I ran through a mass of little black bugs (so did others) and my return to level flight as the same race power resulted in speeds 6-7 KIAS less than before the encounter.  Later, I noted that the splattered bugs were very close together (less than a 1/4") and had completely messed up the laminar flow at the leading edge of the wings.  Slow downs have also occurred in flight through rain.

Note 2: Certain 320/360 racers experimented with more reflex with the conclusion that there was no significant improvement in speed.