From: Colyn Case <colyncase@earthlink.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Tempest spark plugs
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 14:15:38 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Well, they just lost my business.   I'll look forward to the public retraction of that letter.

On Feb 13, 2012, at 1:54 PM, Walter Atkinson wrote:

Since September, Champion seems to have "softened" their position and are trying to fix this problem that back in September they claimed did not exist.  This is sort of like TCM fixing the cylinder problem that "never existed."  <g>

Walter

On Feb 13, 2012, at 11:21 AM, Kevin Stallard wrote:

I found a response from Champion.  The usually finger pointing has begun…

http://www.championaerospace.com/assets/Champion-Fine-Wire-Spark-Plug-Service-Letter.pdf

Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2012 6:51 PM
To: lml@lancaironline.net
Subject: [LML] Fwd: [LML] Re: Tempest spark plugs

Lorn,   you must have missed this.

I've included an alternate link to what Ron put in because I couldn't get that to work.

This is a very interesting read.

The problem was actually found on Champion plugs.

TAT is recommending Champion massives.   It looks to me like TAT likes the 29 heat range and that Tempest doesn't make one of those.

I'll seek clarification from Walter.

Other very interesting stuff in this article:  pictures of affected cylinders; pictures of the monitor trace; what to do if you see that kind of a trace in flight.

http://www.taturbo.com/TATSR22-SB11-05%20fine%20wire%20spark%20plugs%20initial%20release%20sept%2023%202011.pdf

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ron Laughlin <ronlaughlin@gmail.com>

Date: February 9, 2012 10:29:21 AM EST

Subject: [LML] Re: Tempest spark plugs

Don't know if anyone brought this up yet but Tornado Alley Turbos has
recently issued an "mandatory" service bulletin on fine wire plugs.
Apparently they are more prone to insulator cracks than the massives.
When the insulation falls off they turn into "glow plugs" and can lead
to a detonation event. I think George has documented this. Here's the
SB:

<TATSR22-SB11-05 fine wire spark plugs initial release sept 23 2011.pdf>

Ron

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Tim Olson <Tim@myrv10.com> wrote:

The fine wire plugs are pretty darn durable.  Mine are

the Unison (now tempest) ones.  I find that they're easier

to clean with the walnut chip blaster because without the

massive side electrodes, it's much easier to get down in

them to clean them.  They run real well for me.  For my

dollar, I'll go Tempest fine wire for sure.  There's nothing

magical about the Champions, and in fact you're just

sticking with something older at that point when there is

"new improved" available.  The resistors alone are a good

reason to switch.

FWIW, I did the same thing with oil filters.  After buying

2 each of Champion, Kelly, and Tempest, I now only buy

Tempest oil filters.  The Kelly filters were just too

flimsy.  The champion are higher price with lower

quality features.

Tim

On 2/8/2012 7:05 AM, Art Jensen wrote:

Lorn,

Talked with Linda today. Still don't know the benefits of using fine

wire (Iridium) versus massive other than price. Champion massive are

$26.95 versus Tempest massive at $22.75. Champion fine wire (Iridium)

$89.95 versus Tempest fine wire (Iridum) at $49.50. These prices are

from Aircraft Spruce.

I like the idea of the center electrode and resistor being fused

together as one piece. That new design is found in both types of plugs

made by Tempest. The price difference between the two types of plugs

should be no factor since the Fine wire (Iridium) are supposed to last

1000 hours or more than the massive.

According to Linda, the platinum plugs are no longer being manufactured.

I have a call in to tech. Support at Champion but have not heard back

from them yet.

Art Jensen

*From: * Lorn H Olsen <lorn@dynacomm.us>;