From: <Sky2high@aol.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Steam Gauge Backup
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 11:41:36 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Terrence,

Yes.  You have jogged my creaky memory about the direct connect.  And yes.  See: http://www.periheliondesign.com/powerschottkydiodes.htm for the type I use because of the low voltage drop.  That is, it can be used to isolate the backup battery from the main yet still be charged in flight.  See attachment.

Scott

In a message dated 1/16/2012 1:42:32 P.M. Central Standard Time, troneill@charter.net writes:

Scott,

Ok.
Since my LSI dual ignition and prop are hot direct from the battery, how about just adding plus and minus separate lines from the 2nd battery to the ignition and electric prop switches?
And, should I have Schottky diodes ... somewhere to keep the stby battery charged normally, yet isolate it in case of main battery shorts?
(Sorry for the simple questions... I'm electrically challenged.)

Terrence

On Jan 16, 2012, at 11:34 AM, Sky2high@aol.com wrote:

Terrence,

If you have a dual LSI ignition, you should have a backup battery for one of the ignitions.

Scott

In a message dated 1/16/2012 7:20:26 A.M. Central Standard Time, troneill@charter.net writes:
Brent,

here's mine.  I also have my AOA vane on the wing.  Have an Odyssey battery, B&C alternator and a backup small standby alternator; and a Garmin 396 w/ its battery.
Can't think of a senario where I couldn't maintain control if I lost all electrical, except 5 vdc for the LSI ignition.
Considering adding an small backup battery in parallel, or just for ignition.
Comments invited.

Terrence
L235/320 N211AL

--