From: <MikeEasley@aol.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Gear shimmy
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 10:05:21 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Pete,

One other place that should be checked is the bearing blocks at the top of the nose gear strut.  There are two bearings that are pressed into the bearing blocks.  When they're fully inserted into the bearing blocks they hold the strut posts securely with no play.  But after time, they can slip outboard and allow the top of the strut to move laterally.  I made two "donuts" from aluminum tubing that keep the bearings fully inserted into the blocks.  Drew Dickinson down in Texas originally discovered this one.

Mike Easley
Colorado Springs

In a message dated 1/8/2012 6:59:28 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, pete@leapfrogventures.com writes:

Paul,

Thanks for the feedback.  I do have the Lancair casting for jacking the plane, which is great for changing tires and brakes, but it does not help for checking whether the gear leg is loose in the upper socket.  I borrowed a wing jack and a carpeted 12” square pad from my local mechanic and was able to get the gear off of the ground.  The legs seemed as tight as they were when first installed.

Note that I have had absolutely no shimmy for the first 250 hours I have flown the plane.  It just showed up a month or so ago.   Maybe a brake issue?  I don’t feel it on initial roll-out, just as I slow between 40 to 20 knots.

I’ll do a search on the other forum.  Again, thanks for the assistance.

Pete

From: "pete@leapfrogventures.com" <pete@leapfrogventures.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 16:38:21 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Subject: [LML] Gear shimmy

After 250 shimmy free hours, I am now getting gear shimmy when my ES-P slows down through about 30 knots.  I think I recall folks saying this is due to looseness in the upper main gear leg sockets.  Is this correct, or is there another cause?  My strut (new version) looks fine.

If it is loose main gear, how do you suggest that I get the main gear off of the ground?  There are no obvious jack points.

Thanks for the advice!

Pete

=