From: Clark Baker <bakercdb@gmail.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Glareshield fabric melt test
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 20:50:54 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Given the recently melted spot on my Legacy glareshield (suede fabric), I decided to do some testing.  The test used a Grizzly variable heat gun with the fabric clamp onto an 1" nylon plate frame with a cutout behind the fabric to prevent heat sinking into the nylon.  Temperature monitoring was both a digital probe and an IR gun.

Testing was in two stages
1. the highest temperature that the fabric could take for five minutes, without visible signs of damage
2. five minutes at a more elevated temperature
(all temperatures and times are approximate)

Fabrics were
1. Aircraft grade Wool face - Geneve  http://www.tapiscorp.com/p_geneve.htm
2. Aircraft grade Wool face- Grospoint http://www.tapiscorp.com/p_grospoint_gpwb.htm
3. Aircraft grade Ultraleather that is reportedly designed for glareshields- http://www.tapiscorp.com/p_ultraleather.htm
4. Auto grade suede
5. Flyers' coveralls, 100% non melting polyamide, MIL-C-83141A

Summary
-All aircraft materials tested (wool & ultraleather) showed no visible damage at approximately 380F for five minutes. All began scorching at a little over 400F.  Increased scorching but no melting was noted at temperatures in around 480F for several minutes.

-Auto suede deformed at 350F, and collapsed into a ball at 430F

-Flight suit scorched at about 530F

(See side by side post testing comparison photo)

Also, post testing, I found this material (below).  I ordered a yard to see if it would make a suitable glareshield fabric (aesthetics and stretchable). Will report back later on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glmIHzz0250

--
Clark Baker
Legacy 80hrs