From: <larry.eversmeyer@faa.gov>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Dragger for 4P
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 12:31:20 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

John,  The nose pan sounds like a good idea.  Another advantage, I would have a mower to mow the grass around the hanger.  Let us know if you come up with an idea.

Larry Eversmeyer
Legacy RG   still building

From: "John Barrett" <jbarrett@carbinge.com>
To: lml@lancaironline.net
Date: 09/06/2011 09:48 AM
Subject: [LML] Re: Dragger for 4P

Sounds good in theory Hamid.

I have tried it with an old Craftsman riding lawnmower.  Have put a towing
ball on the front and on the rear of the lawnmower.

On the plus side, it's great to avoid the feet slipping on concrete and
struggling to push the plane into the hangar.  In practice, there is a HUGE
drawback in that steering the tractor needs to have the nose wheel of the
aircraft off the ground in order to work.  The very short coupling of the
turning response on the tractor combined with same on the airplane makes
controlling the path the airplane makes difficult.  I find that if I first
pull the airplane forward with the tractor in reverse until I have a
perfectly straight path centered into the hangar, I can get the plane in to
the hangar with one pass maybe half the time.

It's really easy to get the nose wheel turned beyond limits.  On my
Beechcraft Sierra it's lucky that a rod end bearing is the weak link.  I
broke two of those before I figured out it was going beyond the limits when
trying to control the direction and the geometry.

I think if you could figure out a way to build a nose wheel pan on the front
of your tractor and winch the nose wheel off the ground into that pan, then
the system would work well.  Have been thinking about that and maybe will
build one.

John Barrett