From: Ronald STEVENS <Ronald@sdc.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Hot starts
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 23:20:20 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
So I tried the ideas presented here and what happens than is that there is fuel coming out like no tomorrow….I mean, it looked like the niagara waterfalls LOL

Anybody knows how to install the purge valves and lives in Florida or relatively close by ??

== Ronald (45 hours and counting)

From: "Craig Berland." <cberland@systems3.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 15:24:37 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Subject: [LML] Re: Hot starts

Caution…..Caution.  This will NOT work on late model engines.  I am not sure when Continental changed the pump design but I know that pumps produced after 2004 are a problem.  If you use this method…..make sure that  you don’t have fuel flow while in idle cutoff. The later pumps WILL flow fuel to the engine while in idle cutoff.

Craig Berland

Don has it correct.   The big bore continentals will bypass fuel in this setup and circulate fuel through most of the hot lines.  I sometimes let mine run 1 minute or more before a hot hot start and 30 seconds on a hot start.   There should be no fuel measured in the fuel flow meters in this condition.     There should be no fuel pumping out on the ground in this setup.    It just circulates through the pump and back into the tank.  This works for TSIO and IO and it supported by TCM as one of the ways of dealing with hot starts.

Paul

Legacy

Calgary

On 2011-08-15, at 10:23 AM, don Grabiel wrote:

Ronald, I don't know about hot starting in a tsio-550, but in my io- 550, mixture idle cut off, full throttle for 20 sec., then normal starting procedure works every time.  Don G.