From: F. Barry Knotts <bknotts@buckeye-express.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: Electric flaps
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 10:11:46 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
For Brian Campbell:

I was unable to penetrate your spam filter directly, so here's some info on the installation of electric flaps in a IV-P.  The photograph files have been reduced in size per LML standards.  Full resolution files are available.

Yes, I have some pertinent info.  Another builder sent me the following to get me started:

1) DSCN0749X.jpg - a photo of another the installation
2) a pdf of the Lancair Legacy electrical wiring.

You should know:
1)  The electric flap motor for the Legacy has metric fittings. (Part # FL-1, either 12V or 24V)
2)  There is more than enough travel to actuate the IV-P flaps.
3)  There is a new mounting bracket that is different than the hydraulic cylinder mounting bracket.  There is also an electrical "kit" for the electric flap motor with limit switches.  Lancair sells both of these items and they are needed.
4)  The shaft of the actuator is 10 mm diameter and takes a 10 mm (I think coarse metric thread) spherical rod end.  There are many sources of these parts on the internet.  I think I got mine from these folks:
http://www.midwestcontrol.com
(I couldn't find the receipt, off hand, so I'm not sure.)
5)  The ball of the ball joint has a large diameter hole that must be bushed to adapt to the existing LIV-P flap bellcrank.  I turned a small section of aluminum rod down to make a custom bushing.  (Photos IMG_8150X.jpg and IMG_8151X.jpg)
6)  In order for the potty seat to fit down over the electric motor, it must be modified.  (Photos IMG_8234X, IMG_8245X.jpg and IMP_8522X.jpg)  You must make certain that everything within the potty seat still fits.  I needed to make some small modifications.
7)  I removed all the hydraulic lines related to the flaps and also needed to remake the faceplate for the gear/flap actuating switches after removing the flap handle.
8)  My completed installation.  Photo IMG_8244X.jpg

All in all, I'm quite satisfied with the conversion.  Of course, I did this before the fuselage was completed, so it was less trouble than if the fuselage had already been completed.  And, I haven't flown, yet, so I have no performance information.

I have full resolution of all these photos if you would like them.  I'd be happy to discuss the conversion with you by phone or email.

Barry Knotts
Perrysburg, Ohio
(419) 251-4674 (office)
(419) 872-08768 (home)
(419) 280-0280 (cell)

On 7/2/2011 4:59 PM, BRIANJCAMPBELL@aol.com wrote:
Barry;

  I saw your LML posting, looking for electric flap info for your IVP. I am interested in converting from hydraulic to electric and wondering if you received any info that you may want to pass on?

 Thanx
 Brian
N76CU