From: H & J Johnson <hjjohnson@sasktel.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Fw: [LML] Re: Stall Speeds, Wing Cuffs, Vortex Generators for L...
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 10:35:32 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

Jeff, We'll just have to agree to disagree on this point. :)  I'm a proponent of training and applaude what you are doing w/ LOBO. Obviously training is having an impact, all good [great] stuff! I would agree that using the plane for basic training would be suicidal but that doesn't mean the planes shouldn't be tested in these regions of speed etc under the proper conditions.

I'm still off the opinion [and will remain so] that an owner needs to test his plane to the nescesary limits of the airframe as it applies to slow flight. The same should be done w/ bump tests and flutter in the high speed region of the envelope. We all know that just because these aircraft are all from the same set of molds, doesn't mean they fly the same. My plane isn't going to fly the same as my buddie's [who happens to be a master craftsman, built it using a caliper to place all the ribs and leveled the wings w/ an Autocollimater] ok I'm kidding about his skills or his patience [anyone who's ever used an Autocollimator will understand] but the fact remains, they are all individual's [the airframes and their builders] so they are all going to fly differently, it's the testing phase of things that should be bringing them all back to as close to the 'standard' as we can.

If all of the new or potential owners of Lancairs had pushed the company [10+ yrs ago [20yrs??]] to improve the stall/spin safety of the aircraft the lack of sales [or pressure due to the lack] would/could have prompted the company to fix this issue from the start. The fact that everyone wanted a Lancair due primarily to it's cruise speed [dang the torpedo's for anything else that matters] was our own undoing in part.

I can agree that we're not test pilots but if we can't or are not will or we're scared to fly the airframe [or we know areas that are outside our skill level] in all regions of the normal category envelope, then it is my opinion that we shouldn't be flying the airframe, period. If you don't know where the demons lurk, how can you conclusively avoid them? Wouldn't be better to find them during flight testing [even it it means hiring a test pilot and installing a spin chute], rather than just pretend we can avoid them at will by using extra speed? The nagging question in my mind would always be ; At what point does the airframe become unglued ?[pun intended]  Does it stall straight ahead as long as it's corrdinated? What if it's corrdinated but in 10deg of bank, how does CG effect these points.  'I dunno, I'm just gonna fly fast and avoid all that' doesn't present a valid solution, nor promote the level of safety that CAN be obtained w/ the proper proceedure s and steps during flight testing. Does that perspective work [just use speed]?  Sure, for a time but all it takes is one time where you don't have the speed and your goose is cooked.

Anyway, as I said last time..  PETA is threatening me w/ handcuffs over this dead horse so.. I guess I'll pipe down..

Jarrett Johnson