From: Novelli <ppxsn@novellisouza.com.br>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Re: Long mount / short tail
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 14:18:26 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

Entering this discussion, my 320 have long mounts, big tail, wing extensions and big wheels. Battery at engine compartment and HPU as per plans. I’d prefer to install the HPU more forward, behind seats. Best CG configuration and much better to maintenance. I’m attaching my W&B spreadsheet and a picture on scales.

       Silvio Novelli

Lancair 320 - PP-XSN

    +55 (14) 3815-8199

Sent: segunda-feira, 6 de junho de 2011 13:51
To: lml@lancaironline.net
Subject: [LML] Re: Long mount / short tail

Bill,

Just curious, where did your battery and hydraulic pump end up?  I have same configuration, except for 3 blade MT prop and have been considering behind the seat for the pump and firewall for the battery!  ( not yet weighed for cg )

Bob Mitchell

L-320 N56SH

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 4, 2011, at 8:52 AM, "Bill Harrelson" <n5zq@verizon.net> wrote:

Phil,

We have a long mount – small tail 320. I have zero complaints about control authority or elevator characteristics and we’re coming up on 2,000 hrs and 10 years. Why would you consider the large tail an “upgrade”?  If I were building again, I’d be willing to pay extra for the small tail.

Bill Harrelson

N5ZQ 320 1,950 hrs

N6ZQ  IV under construction

Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2011 8:28 AM

Subject: [LML] Long mount / short tail

I know the big tail / small tail is hotly debated, but I currently have a long engine mount and a small tail 360 kit. I am not going to upgrade to the large tail if I can fly this aircraft in the long mount / short tail configuration.

Is any on this list flying a small tail and a long engine mount with a 360 engine? If so, can you tell me about your flight characteristics? Has anyone also flown the small tail / short mount and can provide some comparisons?

Thank you,

Phil