From: Mark Steitle <msteitle@gmail.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: L-IV Choice of Engine
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 16:47:41 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Ted,

If you are of the belief that Lycoming or Continental are "safe" choices, may I direct you to the FAA accident database?  It is full of evidence to the contrary.

Thanks for mentioning the Fly Rotary group (www.flyrotary.com) of which I have participated in since the mid 90's.  A couple of other good rotary sites are www.rotaryeng.net and www.rotaryaviation.com.  There are many flying examples of the rotary engine being a viable alternative engine.  While it is definitely not a plug-n-play solution and nor is it for everyone, it has proven to be a reliable aircraft powerplant.  But, as they say, the devil's in the details.  As with the Lycoming or Continental options, I wouldn't call the rotary a totally "safe" choice either.  A broken oil line can ruin your day as quickly as a broken crankshaft.  If you address the peripheral systems, the engine itself is extremely robust.  (My 350hp peripheral-ported 3-rotor engine has only 4 moving parts, all of which spin rather than stop and start, but that's a topic for another posting.)  The rotary has shown to be more than capable of producing very high power in racing applications.  In the Mazda series they typically run the engines for one or two seasons without overhaul.  The rotary is a very tough little engine!

Is the Lycoming engine "safer"?  Maybe, maybe not.  But if "safe" is the target to which we aim, then we should all stay on the ground.

Mark
Lancair ES, n/a 3-rotor

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 7:32 AM, <tednoel@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
While I am confident the Eagle V8 will do well, based on the designer and many bits of the internals, it has proven very expensive and time-consuming. Check in on the FlyRotary email list (Marv runs it). There are rotaries of the appropriate power flying with good records. Many of the headaches have already had their aspirin taken. Unless you are a bit of a masochist (which I didn't think I was), unfortunately the 1930's boat anchors remain the "safe" choice.

Ted Noel

--
For archives and unsub http://mail.lancaironline.net:81/lists/lml/List.html