From: Mark Sletten <mwsletten@gmail.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Re: N23PH Flight time
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 08:04:47 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

I just ground tested the fuel flow on my Legacy (still building). With the nose 15 degrees high I was able to pump all but a gallon from each wing. When I lowered the nose to level I got all but about a quart from each.

It seems to me we’re doing this backward, however. Won’t the NTSB be able to determine if there was fuel aboard? I would think trying to figure out how he ran out of fuel should wait until we know he actually ran out of fuel.

-- Mark

From: Colyn Case <colyncase@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 12:12:47 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Subject: [LML] Re: N23PH Flight time

I don't have definitive information.

As far as I know, never took HPAT or equivalent.

As far as I know, total time in last 6 months was the 5 hours engine breakin time.

There were conflicting reports about whether the "pressure" problem was oil pressure or fuel pressure.

I believe he was intending to operate LOP on this trip.

Anyone have LOP numbers for an IO-550 at 8000?

Again the log records 3:17 of flight but does not include the climb (7 minutes?)

nor the descent ( 12 minutes? but was that power on or power off? one thing very peculiar about the track log is that there is no descent.)

3:17 + 7 + 12 = 3:36

If you add 3 gallons for climb and take off, the total burns come out like this:

burn rate         total burn

14                53.4

15                57

16                60.6

17                64.2

If he were really at 17 and knew it I think he would have done something about it.

I suspect there were other contributing factors.   ...like faulty fuel flow reporting, faulty fuel level gauging, max usable fuel less than thought,  or maybe it really was oil pressure.

I looked at the google earth view for the general area.  I'm not sure which field he landed in but they all looked smallish and maybe intimidating at speed.

It's hard to know what happened in the final moments but the wreckage doesn't look consistent with forward progress once on the ground.

On May 12, 2011, at 9:26 AM, MikeEasley@aol.com wrote:

Do we know this was fuel exhaustion? I know I ran my IO-550 150+ degrees ROP throughout the break-in process.  I also flew low to keep 75% power. That's at or above 15 GPH.

I thought I read something about oil pressure. I guess we'll find out more in time.  Only 5 hours on a newly rebuilt engine seems minimal before a long cross country.  A rebuilt engine doesn't constitute a major modification, so there's really no need to re-enter Phase 1 flight testing for a minimum of 5 hours, unless there was more work done that just an R&R.

Losing an engine shouldn't be fatal.  What do we know about the pilot and his training, time in type, etc.?  Maybe Colyn can give us a bit more about the pilot's experience.

Just sorting through the scenario like I do with every Lancair accident.

Mike Easley

Colorado Springs

In a message dated 5/11/2011 1:17:19 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, edmartintx@aol.com writes:

          At high altitude, a stock Legacy with IO-550 should burn approximately 10.5 gallons/hour using "lean-of-peak" technique.    In this example, actual flight time was over four hours with 21 gallons remaining (66-gallon capacity).  Please see:   http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N767EM

J. E. MARTIN