From: Michael McMahon <afm528@gmail.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Cape to Kunene River
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 07:51:19 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Cape to Kunene River

Very cool.  Can’t wait to see your video.

Sent: Monday, April 25, 2011 1:24 PM
To: lml@lancaironline.net
Subject: [LML] Cape to Kunene River

Hi Guys

I wanted to let you know about a trip I just completed in Legacy #309. The png photo attached shows the route we flew to Namibia (a country in Africa bordering ours to the North). We flew from Cape Town in the south all the way to the mouth of the Kunene River on the border between Angola and Namibia (check Google Earth). Total flown was 3500nm and the Legacy used 313USG for 21,4hrs flown. Total oil used was only a quart and a bit, which is not bad IMO. Absolute trip of a lifetime as we flew over one of the most remote deserts in the world and down some pretty interesting river valleys with th eodd sighting of wild life. I have a attached a photo or two to show what it was like. I’ll be posting some video on YouTube as soon as I’m thru editing.

My esteem of the Legacy has risen tenfold after its performance this trip. Not only was it a great tourer but it proved to be a solid bush plane. It performed fantastically at airfields that were hot and high, example, Windhoek has an elevation of 5500’ and a density altitude on the day I took off of 8500’. The gear also proved to be remarkably rugged; I landed at some gravel strips that were not “A” grade but the Legacy just took it in its stride. Such was my confidence in the aircraft that we flew low thru some very rugged and remote river valleys, where humans are outnumbered by the wild animals (lions too).

What a plane!

Best regards

Ross Leighton
Cape Town, South Africa