From: Colyn Case <colyncase@earthlink.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Pressurization
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 14:04:17 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
I talked to Carlos at Dukes for quite a while  yesterday.
As well as I could piece together:
The main valve is moved by a diaphragm.
How far open or closed the valve is, is determined by what pressure is allowed to enter the diaphragm chamber
A small orifice from the chamber to ambient is always present, which, in the absence of any other air source will tend to equalize pressure on each side of the diaphagm.
When high pressure cabin air is allowed in, the valve closes.   When ambient air is allowed in, the valve opens enough to reduce the pressure differential to almost zero.   When vacuum is connected, it opens all the way.

Pin 13 controls a solenoid in the valve that connects ambient air to the chamber.   This results in near equalization to ambient but the valve is not open far enough to avoid the pressure wave you can get on takeoff.

Pin 4 controls a solenoid that connects the vacuum port to the chamber.  When this is energized the valve opens completely. (This avoids the pressure wave when the turbo first spools up.)   If you care, the cross-section of the fully open valve is 9.5 square inches (I care because I'm trying to improve my non-pressurized fresh air flow).

The Lancair picture is graphically correct but it doesn't distinguish in name between the dump solenoid and the vac solenoid.

As Pete described, inside the valve is a movable aneroid which is connected to a poppet.   The position of the aneroid corresponds to the target pressure delta.   There's a motor which moves the aneroid and a pot that reports the position.  The controller energizes the motor until it sees the position indication it's looking for.   The RATE knob controls how fast the motor turns.    This means that if the controller loses power, the aneroid is where it is, and the valve continues to operate at the latest pressure differential target.

If you wanted to maximize exit airflow when flying unpressurized, you would want to have a vacuum source and energize pin 4 until you want to pressurize.  (If you do this, be careful where you have the cabin altitude target when you de-energize the vac solenoid).

Colyn