From: randy snarr <randylsnarr@yahoo.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Burned dash cover "My Solution" for stopping this
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 10:38:00 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
All,
The sun burn spots on my glare shield has bugged me since I finished my airplane.
Most of our airplanes have these. (if you you are flying them Gary Edwards...)

I tested many materials and found something that works.
My glare shield is covered with black "Ultra Leather" which is a premium quality man made leather. It is very tough stuff and looks beautiful until you focus your canopy glass in the right position and you will quickly burn a spot in it..If Left for a few minutes, it will burn a hole in it..

I have tried to be careful and watch where the sun is but there will come a time when the sun is focused perfectly and it will burn in 5 seconds. Dang!!!

Anyway, I found that carbon fiber will not burn in this scenario. I believe this will work on any type of fabric not just Ultraleather.
So, I made two patches for my dust cover ( approx 10" x 6.5") using the light weight bidirection weave carbon fiber material. One for each side of the dust cover where the burn marks have been have been congregating. (The patches are kind of like you would see on the elbows of a sport jacket. These serve 2 purposes. One, they cover up the burn marks I have now and they hopefully will prevent new ones from happening.

The procedure:
I just covered my glare shield with saran wrap and tape to protect if from the paint. I laid 2 patches (slightly larger than the final ones) made from light carbon weave cloth in position on the saran wrap on the curved glare shield. I then painted them with high temp black Krylon barbecue paint and let them dry. (several coats especially on the edges. That makes them black to match and it also stabilizes the fibers so they wont fray out especially on the edges. Additionally it also keeps the pieces to shape while you cut them to the specific size using a paper pattern. They are also formed to the shape of the dust cover. I then just used upholstery spray spray adhesive on the back of each ( now hardened with paint) carbon fiber patch and glued them down. Some of the glue bled through the weave so I masked them off after gluing them to the dust cover and gave them another light coat of high temp paint.
Shazam, heat shield complete..
See attached pics..

My test pieces held up well when I tried to burn a spot with a magnifying glass.
I hope it works as well now I have it on my glare shield..

Best,
Randy Snarr
N694RS (sporting new virgin dust cover)
235/320

"Flight by machines heavier than air is unpractical and insignificant, if not utterly impossible"
-Simon Newcomb, 1902

From: Gary Edwards <gary21sn@hotmail.com>
To: lml@lancaironline.net
Date: Wednesday, March 2, 2011, 5:58 AM

How about using a patch of Zetex in the areas prone to burning?

Gary
From: "Gary Edwards" <gary21sn@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 09:50:35 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

My second re-covering of the glare shield lasted about 48 hours without a burn mark.  Got distracted when a TV camera crew walked up with the camera rolling (my 15 minutes of fame).  So, I said, "screw this".  I put an EAA sticker over the burn marks.  It's been there for 9 years.  I try to not park with the sun behind the plane and try to keep the canopy closed.  A bit difficult when I pull the plane out of the hanger and it's facing north for taxi.

Gary Edwards
LNC2