From: Don Karich <donkarich@gmail.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Need advice on improving cooling
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 08:17:01 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
I'd try measuring the differential pressure on both sides of the oil cooler and  see if you have good flow throught the cooler. I'd also check the vernitherm and see if the oil is circulating at the correct temperature. You can also add  a second oil cooler if necessary.

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 8:36 PM, Bryan Wullner <vonjet@gmail.com> wrote:

My airplane: Lancair 360, 180hp 360 carburated. I have a plenum to cool and I am feeding the oil cooler with air off the #3 cyl.

My chts are high on the ground and takeoff. The oil temp is high on the ground as well. Its to the point where I can't takeoff if I'm on the ground too long. And the hotter days aren't even here yet.

Also my carb temp climbs on the ground and pegs at the gauge limit of 127 degrees. I've replaced the probe and the manufacturer seems to think its operating normally. This would make me believe my lower cowling area is getting hot and not enough air flowing out of it.

My AP has checked my engine, compression, timing etc and doesn't believe there is any issues with it. The cooler is a 9 vane SW that was new when installed.

My plan was to add cowling louvers to the lower cowling on each side below the cyl banks.  I would hope this would improve the air movement out the cowling.
I read that cht probes could read high if they run close to the exhaust in a tight cowling. Mine do. Also the carb probe is kind of close to the exhaust as well. Not sure if this is my case. All my baffles are in place and properly sealed.

Anybody have any advice on where to place these or other ideas that would improve cooling or things to check

Bryan