From: Terrence O'Neill <troneill@charter.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Runwayfinder
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 13:24:34 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Amen .
My patent expired last year... whole other intellectual property rights (copyrights) now remain with the inventor/writer until death.
My patent lawyer son explained that the corporations do not buy patents outside the company... they just wait until it expires, then use it gratis.
Some patented devices take years to market... others are immediate.
Any comments, viewpoints on this?
I think they should be good for life.  Costs thousands for the simplest patent. and all devices are not the same.. some simple, some very complex.
(Well,, got that off my  chest.).
  :  )
Terrence
L235/320 N211AL

On Dec 20, 2010, at 7:52 AM, Taylor, David wrote:

Our patent laws in this country are crap.  They need to be overhauled.  Yes innovative ideas need to be protected, but being the first one to get the paperwork to the courthouse is not innovation.

It takes a low moral conscience to defend a system that siphons billions of dollars into the pockets of a few who add no value whatsoever to anything.

Sent: 12-19-10-Sun 19:10
To: lml@lancaironline.net
Subject: [LML] Re: Runwayfinder

I totally understand Jon's point.
I think the protection of technology investment argument is extremely weak on this one.   Everybody who ever created a pc flight planner made a big investment.  This is more about change of venue.

If indoor plumbing had happened in 1980 I suppose you could get a patent on toilet paper that worked indoors if you were the first one to do the research.   Even if the courts allowed it wouldn't you feel a little conscience about charging other people for your "invention".

If this ruling stand basically any program you've seen on a pc could be patentable the first time it appears on the net.

On Dec 16, 2010, at 8:34 PM, paul miller wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your argument Jon.  FlightPrep has a patent.   Stenbock & Everson probably spent a lot on the technology or at least was first to file.   Someone delivers a low cost equivalent without a license.    A dispute arises.  It happens every day.   Technology needs to be protected just like all other inventions.   If you disagree, you have to go to court or get a license or do something else.   I cannot duplicate Jepp's plates nor AOPA's articles. I can't copy ASA's flight training programs nor FlighPrep's data.   Every one of those companies no doubt has sent nastygrams claiming infringement to protect their investment and source of revenue yet they flourish and continue to be supported.   I don't understand the retaliation issue you have with S&E except perhaps the publicity over using brute force against an individual.   Copy some Jepp plates without permission and this story pales in comparison.

Paul
Legacy N357V
On 2010-12-16, at 12:01 PM, Jon Socolof wrote:

Is anyone else disturbed by the activities of FlightPrep against Runwayfinder.com, a little free online flight planner? They also went after Jepp/AOPA and other flight planners. The Van’s community is following pretty closely.  I for one, will never purchase from any Stenbock and Everson company including Flightprep, ASA, etc.  I hope the Lancair community will support the Van’s community in this one.

Jon
Legacy N332E