From: Colyn Case <colyncase@earthlink.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] JPI
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 13:24:34 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Jim,   I think you need to decide what is important to you and decide which vendor can provide it.  As far as I can see, JPI is a marketing company, not an engineering company.  That said, they have collected pretty much all the right features in their edm700 unit, for what it is, and mine worked great in my cessna for 10 years.   So they nailed it on features and reliability.  Other things I need:
- my data please.   I got off the train when they stated that I had to pay them money to get the data collected by the instrument I already paid for.  I guess they changed their mind now but I'm not going back.
- answer the phone courteously and be helpful.   oops.

EI is sort of the other end.   About engineering things the way they think they should be.  Too bad if it's not what you wanted.   I know because I just bought their edm700 equivalent.  I had to buy 3 different boxes to get the job done.   But they were SUPER helpful on pre-sales consultation.  That said, the mvp-50, their more modern unit,  is awesome, reliable, they answer the phone, and they don't engage in shady marketing tactics.

Of the two I'll take EI.

Neither of the two is going to make you an engine management expert, but I don't think you need that from them.

On Dec 20, 2010, at 5:07 PM, Jim Nordin wrote:

I’ve really hesitated sending this note afraid my lack of knowledge may be demonstrated. But what the hey … here ‘tis.

Among other things, JPI continues to espouse a wife’s tale on “shock cooling”. I’ve asked many times for them to provide empirical data to support their claim. Apparently no empirical data exists and that translates to rumor or worse. I was going to buy their product but changed my mind when I learned they sell products by scaring people about events that don’t happen. From their website:

“An old and common misconception that other manufacturers of EGT monitors promote is that it is not necessary to know the exact exhaust gas temperatures of your aircraft's engine. However, if you have read recent reports, shock cooling can be catastrophic! The EDM alerts the pilot of those conditions which are most vital to the maintenance of well performing engine. The value in measuring EGT lies in finding the ideal ratio of fuel to air that results in complete combustion, and in long-term trend monitoring.”

What reports? What data? Catastrophic? How is shock cooling associated to EGT? Wouldn’t that be CHT? I understand … not necessarily.
Their claim is cooling by sudden reduction in throttle will/could cause a catastrophic event. What is the event? Cracked head, cylinder? Driving the engine? Sticking valves? Wouldn’t flying into rain or worse be an event you could expect sudden cooling to cause major damage? Or how about turning off the ignition? From making plenty heat to making none. Quick cool down (>100ºF/minute) would be equal to shock cooling. This wife’s tale continues to be over my head. If I’m not mistaken, GAMI says shock cooling is a myth. Wouldn’t they know? Pointing to a manufacturer’s prohibited operating regime (pull the throttle to idle at altitude), legitimate or not, is no justification to make instruments that prevent you from operating there. Do the tests before you sell instruments that prevent you from doing something that doesn’t matter. Well, the idea of “if it’s good enough for Lycoming and Continental, it’s good enough for me” just doesn’t sell today. CYA is a big business justification.

So this is perpetuating manufactures’ CYA on operating under any circumstance that might – MIGHT – cause a warranty issue. LOP for example!

I’m not saying their instruments are not quality. I’m satisfied they are good quality. They likely report accurately. However, measuring something and making unsubstantiated claims as to what the measurements mean is not a responsible way to sell a product.

JPI? I think they’re reaching and with no limb to grab (competition is fierce) they may claim things with their instruments that are useless. You want to measure it and do something about the measurement? Fine by me. But gee whiz, airplane stuff is already so expensive … why spend it on things that don’t matter? That’s not a rhetorical question. Educate me.
Jim

Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2010 6:10 PM
To: lml@lancaironline.net
Subject: [LML] Re: VM 1000

technical readers press delete.  I just wanted to say I have been so excited with jpi ever since they decided they owned my data that I used the edm700 that came with my project to monitor temperatures around the cowling and bleep if something gets too hot.

the little man in there is not happy.  He keeps saying "you disconnected my probe".

On Dec 16, 2010, at 8:34 PM, Janie & Ed Smith wrote:

In regards to the question about the VM 1000,  in it's day it was a fine piece of equipment. But it's outdated and hard to get repaired or support. It is also extremely limited in it's functionality
I would urge you to look at some of the newer engine monitors. In fact most of the EFIS companies have an engine monitor integral in the unit. A couple to look at would be Dynon or Advanced flight systems. There is also the MVP -50 which is a stand alone but will display on some EFIS.

Jon