From: Skip Slater <skipslater@verizon.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Preserving Freedom - Flying and otherwise
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 22:09:39 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
These TFR closures don't only affect GA- last week I was inbound to Miami in a 737 I was flying for American.  About ten minutes before landing, we were suddenly put into holding along with every other inbound airliner for 45 minutes to allow exclusive use of the airport for the arrival of Air Force One.  No one was released until the plane was parked and the president had deplaned and headed off to his fundraiser.  Even planes on the ground, some within a short distance of their arrival gates, were forced to park during this entire evolution.  Several planes had to divert to other airports due to minimum fuel.

The cost to the affected airlines of this single event had to be at least several tens of thousands of dollars (possibly higher) and seems needless when Homestead AFB was available just south of Miami.  Imagine how much these events cost general, corporate and and commercial aviation on an annual basis.   I can understand the need to give Air Force One priority handling, but when it's parked in a secure area (as it always is) I just don't understand the need to stop all commercial traffic for such a large time window.

Skip Slater
N540ES