From: <DARUS47959@aol.com>
Subject: ZEHRBACH engines, Ceramic engine parts, Electronic Fuel Injection
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 11:52:41 EDT
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Email traffic on this list and resulting calls have indicated an interest in
the ZEHRBACH engines and in the use of our internal engine ceramics, solid
lubricants, electronic fuel injection/ignition, turbocharger systems, and
direct drive V8s.  As a point of reference and for documentation of the
results and performance you can watch and read in the industry magazines
about the following:

Customer Dick Keyt's Polan Special will run our TIO-360 based engine (see EAA
Calendar and Nov 99 Sport Aviation issue) in this years Kitty Hawk to Oshkosh
race.  (There will be 3 and possibly 4 aircraft running ZEHRBACH engines in
the race or about 1 out of 4 based on last years participation).  Last year
this 360 outran the LIV Engineair V8 until the spinner came off.  This year
we will be running 250 hp at full throttle for the entire 900 mile race.  250
hp is the max we can use given the current prop.  The engine is being fitted
with our electronic fuel injection (Nov 99 EAA Sport Aviation), and all of
our ceramic engine components to control heat and reduce the cooling drag.

A Lancair 360 with a TIO-360 fitted with all of the same mods is a possible
racer but may not get done in time.

The 0-235 for Jack Watson's Kitty Hawk Sprint class racer will be running
with a full ceramic combustion chambers, ports, and zero clearane pistons and
valves.  Jack runs 100% power for 6 hrs in the race so he needed lower engine
temperatures, a little more power, and the 20% fuel burn reduction so he
could offload fuel for the race to run lighter.  Engine power will be 137 hp.
 There is an EAA article coming out on Jack's plane that should cover the
engine.

The Glassair 1 with the full ceramic engine package an TIO-360 owned by RL
Perry which made the dash to Sun in Fun from Chicago clocking over 317 knots
ground speed will be on display at Oshkosh.  This aircraft continues to
document the 20% fuel burn reduction declared by its owner to the Lancair
list.  Check customers web site www.Staraviation.com for photos of the
Glassair instrument panel during the speed dash (along with photos of a
customers 500 hp. twin turbo direct drive (no gearbox) V8 engine installation
in progress for a LIV being done by Staraviation.

A TSIO-550 for a LIV is now in the shop being fitted with electronic
ignition/fuel injection, complete internal ceramic engine components, ceramic
ball bearing turbo system, larger intercoolers, and a liquid cooling
conversion.  The resulting engine runs 24% less fuel burn at lower engine
temps.  The customer is preparing for an attempt on the Lindbergh Trophy for
NY to Paris.  Power increases to 420 with 75% available at 29,000 ft.  The
engine mods cure all of the Continental heat and short top end problems.

Two other 550s are in prep for the Reno Sports Class.  One will run at 575
hp. on race day.

Based on customer statements so far I expect to have 7 customer aircraft on
display at Oskosh with 3 others on the field.  The new 1005 cubic inch V12
will be on display along with the V8 for the Lancair IV and a Lycoming 540
with full ceramics and electronics.

Proof of performance will be in the race results and record books and the
articles written on the customer aircraft.  Stop by at Oshkosh and talk to
the customers first hand and form your own conclusions based on their
results.

Darus Zehrbach
ZEHRBACH-LPE

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/Users/Mkaye/maillist.html