From: <Sky2high@aol.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Jacking a Legacy
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 08:17:12 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Jay,

Usually the Lancair recommended jack points have been reinforced with something like an embedded phenolic block so that nothing in the fuselage/wing can be crushed by weight on the jack.  Furthermore, there should be a hole (not a thru hole) in the center of the jacking point to receive a pin on the jack so that the wing cannot slide off.  Another alternative is to thread the hole and use a short bolt and a padded area washer to provide an external "bump" that can be positioned on the jack pad - again, so the plane cannot slip off the jack.

Grayhawk

In a message dated 8/13/2010 1:43:45 P.M. Central Daylight Time, jsabot@oxforditconsult.com writes:
Hi all,

Was wondering what kinds of tools, jigs, or fixtures some of you may have devised to safely locate and cushion the wing skin when jacking their painted and finished Lancair. It just seems that ensuring the jacks are accurately placed under the spar / rib involves eyeballing and some estimation every time.

I was planning to make up some contoured wood blocks with foam, then thought I would poll the LML to see if anyone had some better idea that would allow one to quickly locate the proper point on the lower wing surface to jack from.

Photos would be great too!

Jay M. Sabot
Legacy N26XY

--