From: <rwolf99@aol.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Factory Support of Older Lancairs
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 08:24:45 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
To answer the question of what factory part support is desired, this is what I'd like to be able to buy from the factory forever...

1)  First and foremost, any part which cannot be obtained elsewhere.  This is a no-brainer, so I realize that this is not particularly insightful.  But the first place to delete inventory is stuff that we can get elsewhere.  They may choose to stock items that we can find elsewhere but they don't have to.  It's very convenient to have a one-stop shop with excellent customer service so some may choose to buy from Lancair even if they don't have to.  I probably would if the price was competitive.  Will they make money competing with Aircraft Spruce?  Probably not.

2)  First priority for Lancair would be to supply standard replacement items.  This would include hydraulic cylinders, O-rings for hydraulic struts, hydraulic pumps, and stuff like that.  I'd include tires and brakes if we had a more standardized fleet but this might not be worthwhile to Lancair. Exhaust systems may fall into this category, too.

3)  Second priority would be parts that are likely to be damaged in a minor accident, a hangar rash incident, or (gasp!) a wheels-up landing.  This might include landing gear parts and support brackets, cowlings, wingtips, nose struts, engine mounts, ailerons, rudders.  Might include a wing, also, but probably not.

4)  Third priority might be parts that eventually wear out, such as canopy and window transparencies.  Weldments might be in this category.  I would be happy with a "order it and get it in six months" since we usually get plenty of notice that these are degrading.  Plexiglass light covers.

These are just some thoughts from a 360 builder.  Let's hear from the guys that have flown for 10 years or more...

- Rob Wolf