From: F. Barry Knotts <bknotts@buckeye-express.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Persistent CHT2 Too High (TSIO550E) LIVP
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 20:45:46 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
 Jeff.

I have had a similar experience with my LIV-P with the Conti TSIO-550.  I had to step climb due to high cylinder head temperatures in the #2 cylinder.  It was always 30-40 degrees F hotter than the next hottest cylinder.  (#1).  My personal limit was a cylinder head temperature of 420 degrees.  I tried a couple of things, like to clean and/or change the position of the injectors.  Since they were matched flow injectors, I put them back where they belonged and my peak EGT's returned to peaking within 0.2 - 0.3 gal/hr fuel flow.

My resolution was to do 2 things:

1.  Properly set up the engine for fuel flow according to Continental Service Information Directive SID97-3E.  It is available on the Continental website.  Also note that it refers to Maintenance Manual M-18 for the TSIO-550.  I have attached the appropriate table from M-18.  The engine had been "set up" at least 3 times before I did it myself by people / institutions that should know how to do it.  They obviously didn't.  The setup requires a "Port-O-Test" calibrated test box.  It will take a couple of days, maybe more, to do it right the first time.  (At least it did me.)  You'll also need some fittings to get the Port-O-Test hooked up.  It will also give you an indication whether your on-board instruments are accurate.  Mine were OK, just not right on.

2.  I put the baffle mod on.  Review the document on the LML website by Fred Moreno:  "Drag Reduction Part 2A.pdf."  You can find it under the link on the LML homepage to "Tips & Tricks."  I have attached a photo of my modification.  (More photos and high res available...just ask.)   You also need to be sure that a "tongue" of baffling extends below the oil box to keep air flow along the fins on the lower back side of the #2 cylinder.  (It is usually already there on the Lancair baffling kit.)

The result was that my #2 cylinder is no longer the hottest cylinder.  It's either 2nd or 3rd hottest.  All the cylinders run much closer temps at all times.  My hottest cylinder in climb, even on a hot day, runs about 385 degrees.

I'm now a happy camper and much more confident about how my engine is performing.

Of course, your experience my not be like mine, but the baffle fix really helped the #2 cylinder on my engine.

Barry Knotts
LIV-P, Conti TSIO-550
Perrysburg, Ohio

On 7/18/2010 9:52 AM, Jeffrey Liegner, MD wrote:
I continue to have Cyl 2 CHT temp problems, limiting my climb parameters.  Especially with summer ....

Jeff L
LIVP

-- For archives and unsub http://mail.lancaironline.net:81/lists/lml/List.html