From: Wolfgang <Wolfgang@MiCom.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: Small tail, MK II tail, CG range
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 14:40:38 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
When the center of pressure (lift) moves, stick forces will be required to keep the nose at the desired attitude. How much this center of pressure travels will partly determine stick forces. The effectiveness of the elevator will also determine stick forces. Recall the DC-9 with it's "flying the tabs" for aileron and elevator control, very little stick force required. Very low stick forces contribute to Pilot Induced Oscilation for those pilots that are not used to it.

The end result of a particular airframe can be measured and documented easy enough. What I'm interested in is what all causes these stick forces.

Wolfgang

The CAFE report on the small tail 320 mentions the very low "stick force gradient" as
a problem. The stick force was found to be almost neutral at the rear CG limit.
As I understand it the gradient is much higher in the Legacy,
and about halfway in between on the large tail 360.

I seem to remember
Greg Heinze of HPAT telling me the SFG numbers for the three models
on the phone...but I have since forgotten the
values he quoted.

I understand that a low gradient is a problem since the pilot has no feel that
he is pulling hard just before stall. Perhaps worse, in the stall, just releasing the stick pressure does not
unstall the A/C.Rather, the pilot must calmly place the stick forward....preferably without inducing PIO, despite
the adrenaline load.

I don't know much aerodynamics but I am familiar with second order differential equations.
Having tuned servo systems, I would be wary of nuetral stability.  Wouldn't INstability be right around the corner?
Am I right about this?

The recent long debate on CG ranges has not so far discussed this. What is
the role of stick force gradient in this debate?

--
Jeff Peterson