From: N320G <n320g@hotmail.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: [LML] IO360 engine using escessive amounts of oil
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:41:14 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
A friend of mine had his engine built in California by a popular engine builder.  The engine has always used more oil than he thought it should.  He has had the engine back to the builder twice maybe more.  They said the first time that the engine had not been broken in properly, they honed the cylinders and replace the rings.  The second time at his insistence in addition to again replacing the rings they replaced the modified forward facing sump.  The problem continued with using excess oil and having oil residue on the belly of his aircraft.  Using the Schrader valve pictured to pressurize the intake they could see air bubbles escaping.  They had to cut into the bottom of the sump to get to the problem area, once welded properly no more bubbles.  Once re-assembled, we will find if this truly solves the problem.  At first it seems hard to believe that one could get two defective parts, but then thinking about it, if the process is flawed then there could be many flawed parts. That thought is why I am posting, just in case someone else might be having a similar problem.

Image
HPIM0316.jpg