From: <Sky2high@aol.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Thoughts on a 320 partial build
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 06:25:08 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Danny,

Grayhawk

In a message dated 7/7/2010 2:57:41 P.M. Central Daylight Time, dannymiller@wowway.com writes:
Bill,
You bring up some very good points to consider.  By my estimate, I'd
consider this a/c about 50%.  But this gentleman counts only the time he
spends actually working on it, nothing for prep, set up or any research
times.

I haven't yet looked at the engine log books so I don't know who overhauled
it.  That will also help set an offer price as will the prop AD.  Radios &
DME I'll most likely sell it on ebay and then upgrade to a Kings.  I'm still
old school (dual navcoms & DME) because my last log book entry was in 1995
and have never had the pleasure of flying with the latest technologies.
That's something I need to research.  The Mountain Scope is a GPS moving map
display; seemed like a nice toy but can't be used for navigation.  Since I'm
in an incognito living arrangement with very few distractions (no family) I
can work on it uninterrupted and often.  It's the MkII tail.  Engine
mount...not sure but another good question to ask.  The gear has the donuts
so I'll need to learn more about the Ong's deboingers.  If anybody has some
info on these please send it my way.  The header tank is closed out and
needs to be pressure tested, there's no sight gage and I don't know about
the switches yet.  The canopy, although not yet attached, is provisioned for
front hinges.

Danny
On the prowl for the right 320/360 project

From:
"Bill N5ZQ" <n5zq@verizon.net>

Sender:
<marv@lancaironline.net>

RE: [LML] Thoughts on a 320 partial build

Date:
Mon, 05 Jul 2010 21:04:59 -0400

To:
lml@lancaironline.net

<http://mail.lancaironline.net:81/lists/lml/Message/55298-H.txt>

<http://mail.lancaironline.net:81/lists/lml/Message/55298-P.txt>

Danny,

I checked out a partial build today claimed to be about 80% complete (& 80%
to go).  It's a fast build kit; wings are still open, top panels of the
center section still open

This doesn't sound like anywhere near 80% to me. That doesn't mean that it's
not a good buy,  just that there's still an awful lot of work left to do.

, not wired for auto pilot yet but east to get at,        good.

removable header tank for easy access,     very good
rudder pedals need to be replaced with adjustable,   at this stage,
changing out the rudder pedals would not be a huge project and, in my
opinion, the adjustable rudders are far superior not just because they're
adjustable but because they require a much narrower subfloor. The subfloor
then can be lowered making for more shin room under the panel and a more
comfortable leg position for most folks.
needs interior, fuel lines, magnetos (I'll go with electronic),  yes,
consider P-Mags
gear door installation, elevator trim wiring, paint and some
misc. parts, 0 time overhauled O-320 including Rotec Throttle Body
Injection,   Hmmm, zero timed means that it was rebuilt by Lycoming in
Williamsport, PA. They put a Rotec Throttle Body on it????  Who really did
the overhaul? As an A&P, you know that there can be vast differences between
a "shade tree" overhaul and a factory or other reputable shop overhaul. 1st
overhaul? New or overhauled cylinders?  New camshaft?
prop gov, new fuel pump, 0 time Hartzell HC-82VL-1 prop with
spinner (has an AD on the shank that needs to be inspected (cost unknown),
Obviously you'll check this out before making an offer.
dual Narco digital comms, Narco 890 DME, Narco transponder, 7" TFT touch
screen running Mountain Scope, Narco Nav 11, audio panel with intercom, full
flight instruments, engine instruments and fuel management/  Sounds a little
like these may be some older radios.  Do you really want a DME today? What
is a Mountain Scope? If this is Blue Mountain...lots of guys have had a
bunch of trouble with these. What do you mean by "fuel management"?
gear panel,
ailerons still open, I'd estimate less than 20 degrees swing on the rudder
but he said the vertical fin trailing edge can be trimmed to adjust,  Make
damn sure that the rudder travel restrictions are just due to needing a
little skin trimming. This is an important one.
left
rear window still out for easy access.  good, easy to put in later
All the workmanship appears to be
pretty good and I have a lot of composite experience so I think can judge
it.  Excellent, good workmanship is way more important than equipment, etc.
In my opinion I think it's probably a good winter project to finish it. Yep,
the only question is how many winters :-)

Any thoughts you may have on what else to look for/at would be appreciated.
Does it have small or MKII tail? As you have seen, there is plenty of
opinion on both sides of this question. As you know, I prefer the small tail
but even I wouldn't pass up an otherwise good deal just because it had a big
tail. On the other hand, I wouldn't pay a dime more for a big tail.
Does it have the long engine mount. The original small mount pushed the
accessory case right up to, and in some cased through, the firewall
(remember the "dog dish" for the governor?) The long mounts are getting
pretty hard to find. I'd consider the long mount to be a strong positive.
Does it have the "Ong's deboingers"? The original rubber doughnuts are quite
hard and provide very little shock absorption. I'm not sure if Tim is still
making the deboingers, anybody out there know?
Is the header tank closed out yet? If so, were provisions built in for float
switches so that you can fabricate an automatic system to keep the header
between full and almost full without pilot intervention? An automatic system
is very easy IF you have the float switches built in.  If closed, run a
pressure test on it (will it hold 1 psi overnight?) Provisions for sight
gauge?
Forward hinged canopy? This seems to be the preferred configuration and
offers several advantages.

I'm sure that you'll get many more hints and suggestions from the members of
this august body, but these are the few that I could think of.

Bill Harrelson
N5ZQ 320 1,800 hrs
N6ZQ  IV under construction

Subscribe: Feed