From: John Hafen <j.hafen@comcast.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Glass Panel Suggestions?
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 12:22:29 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
On one of my first solo take-offs after "finishing" my IVP, I had a GADAHARS failure, on climb-out.

I was VFR and the weather was good, so it wasn't an extreme emergency, but I was pretty happy I had installed full size airspeed, attitude and altitude steam gages to back up my Cheltons.

A new software update quickly fixed the GADAHARS which has performed flawlessly for the last 250 hours.  But I'm still happy to have the backup gages.

My steam gage attitude indicator does not have an internal battery backup.  If the recession ever ends, I may look into replacing that unit with one that has a battery backup.

John Hafen
IVP 413AJ

On Jun 18, 2010, at 1:00 PM, vtailjeff@aol.com wrote:

Stan,

Were it not for the mechanical backup guages I installed in my IVP we would not be having this conversation. If you are only concerned about lightning you are only looking at a small portion of the hazard. Brent Regan has posted extensively on this subject-- his remarks are worth their weight in gold.

Jeff
It would be
interesting to know how many pilots flying dual EFIS panels with backup gauges
were forced to rely on the gauges at some point.