From: John Barrett <2thman@cablespeed.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: re:IV wing fairing extensions
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 03:21:48 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

Bill Wade wrote:

*****************

According to the manual it appears that in 1996 the wing root fairings ended close to the wing TE. The instructions for the the extensions are dated from 1998, so I'm guessing they were added at the time.

  Can anyone with a long memory tell me why the extensions were added? Are they for looks or do they have a real function? Thanks-  Bill Wade   **************

I’m answering this because my kit #318 is 1996 vintage so it would seem to have some relevance to the question.  I think you’re referring to the V shaped fairings that extend past the main gear wheel wells.  If so, they were included in my kit and I do not recall seeing any earlier IV’s that did NOT have the same feature.  I think the importance of them becomes clear when you start to do gear retraction tests.  They make the fuselage just wide enough for the wheels to retract into the wells without rubbing.

Unfortunately for me I used the manual instructions to the best of my ability to align them and I got them just a little too low at the aft end.  The result is that they didn’t entirely accomplish the desired result.  The mains didn’t have enough clearance to retract without having doors that climb up the side of the fuselage.  I ended up making two “bubbles” that bulge out at the wheel wells.  Good news is that they didn’t turn out to be particularly unsightly and were  not that difficult to fabricate.  I would probably rip the extensions off and redo them if I were building the plane again.

Lesson to learn is that using the retraction geometry to position the fairings might be more appropriate than trying to follow the landmark positioning process recommended in the manual.

Regards,

John Barrett, CEO

Leading Edge Composites

PO Box 428