From: Chris Alberti <starliteaviation@yahoo.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: 4P Air Conditioning
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 20:03:42 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
The unit with the P51 style scoop has been installed on our Glasair 3 here in Yuma, AZ. for over 2 years and has never failed to deliver. We fly this aircraft over 130 hours a year and because of the AC we can fly any day in the summer. This was the prototype for all Glasair's since the manufacturer had never sold one anywhere else. Before the install, we did our flight test and recorded our power, altitude, temperature, and speed settings etc. After the install we ran the same test and found the no noticeable difference in speed. We thought there had to be some loss of speed but we really couldn't find any. A Lancair Legacy installed the same system and also found no measurable loss in airspeed. Because these aircraft are similar in speed, roughly 220 knots, we wondered if the the loss isn't measurable until you get to greater airspeed's.

We bought a 4P with the same system already installed because of the exceptional performance of this system and it cruises just as fast as the one without the system. I have heard owners of 4P's say they have noticed 2 to 6 knots of loss in airspeed but have never heard of anyone losing 10 to 20 knots or more.

Our suggestion is to do your own flight test with your airplane since no two 4P's are the same and all are prototypes. Also, you didn't mention your power, altitude, temp, airspeed's, and the way you fly your particular aircraft so it is hard to determine what kind of cruise speed you are indicating.

One last thought. If you really think you are at a big loss in airspeed my suggestion is to take the scoop off and see what the difference really is. This way you will have an apples to apples comparison before you invest the time and money into a new system. Also, be aware of cutting holes into the bottom of the fuselage since this may decrease the structural strength of the airframe.

Fly Safe,

Christopher J. Alberti
President/CEO
Starlite Aviation Technologies LLC
1963 S. 39th Drive
Yuma, Arizona 85364
Phone: 928-581-2383
Fax: 928-329-6488
Email: starliteaviation@yahoo.com
Web Site: www.starliteat.com

This message contains confidential information only for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify us, by replying to the sender, and delete the original message immediately thereafter.