From: Gary Casey <casey.gary@yahoo.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Sender Installation (was Legacy Crash Watsonville?)
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 09:44:51 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Not that I would disagree, but...aren't these the same "VDO" senders that have been used for maybe 50 years in cars, always directly attached to the engine?  A lot of those were 4-cylinder engines that have a pretty high vibration level.  I've seen a lot of them fail from leakage or intermittent resistor contacts, but none from falling off the engine.  So would attaching them directly to the engine via a steel restrictor fitting really be worse than using a flexible hose, with its potential leakage potential?  I'm not sure.
Gary, having made my own restrictor fittings.

Robert,

If there is a "correct" way to install the oil pressure sender, you're supposed to use a restrictor fitting on the engine, a firesleeved hose to a firewall mounted sensor.  Oil pressure senders can leak, so using a restrictor fitting is key.  Better to have a drip instead of a huge leak.  Mounting the sender away from engine vibration will significantly increase its lifespan.

I have a JPI EDM 900 engine monitor and the instructions specifically say "DO NOT MOUNT SENSOR DIRECTLY TO ENGINE" but there's no mention of a restrictor fitting.  They specify an Adel clamp around the sensor attached to the firewall.

Vans sells a 45 degree steel elbow restrictor fitting for about $20.  Wicks has an inline brass restrictor fitting for about $6.  I think a restrictor fitting is a good idea on the fuel pressure sender hose fitting too.

Mike