From: Randy <randystuart@hotmail.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Vne is NOT a meaningless number
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 09:41:59 -0500
To: <lml>
Mark,
On the contrary, I think these stats are very germane. The reason I think these stats are important is because Lancair's have a long racing history. And very true, most Lancair's never exceed Vne, or even get to Vne. But there is a portion that have exceeded this number and beyond.
Lancair's are now and have been raced all across the US for many years. Many postings have been on the LML with race results year after year. These planes exceed the published limits. The Lancair factory has promoted racing at their events. This list goes on about Lancair's racing. Including my Lancair.
With that said, it would stand to reason with 1000's of hours and nearly 20 years of racing, if there were known problems or concerns they would have been posted. Lancair is vigilant concerning service bulletins, it's in their best interest.  If there were any flutter problems it would have been posted. Proof of that is the LNC-4 problems in bad weather.
Unlike most aircraft built, some Lancair's are commonly pushed to the limit and beyond and the STATS speak for themselves. This is why the stats are germane.
A few have been modified for the extremes and others have not. All and all not one has come apart. I think that's pretty impressive!
I am not in any way advocating any pilot push his / hers Lancair past the published limits ever, in any conditions. But this is a proven aircraft and if a few of us like to push the limits that's on us, no one else.

Randy Stuart
LNC-2