From: Robert Pastusek <rpastusek@htii.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Re: Ivoprop
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 16:24:08 -0500
To: <lml>
I'd like to second Randy's comment below on off-field landings. This can be
done, and successfully (with some damage expected), but it's not for the
faint of heart, nor for the Lancair pilots just getting used to the airplane
and how it flies. I hope I was part of the reason for an IV-P builder-friend
abandoning his auto engine conversion and going with a proven Continental. I
am convinced the decision will give him a longer life expectancy.

Put your best effort and money in getting a reliable power plant and prop,
and do everything you can to be sure they're operating correctly before your
first flight...there's enough else going on that you really need to be able
to depend on the power plant and prop operating according to your wishes...
After a couple hundred hours in the airplane, you'll be comfortable with the
performance and operating characteristics to make good decisions and
reliably deal with an engine/prop failure... my 2 cents...

Bob

FWIW,
I have a friend with an IVO Prop on his Lancair at my field.
It has not flown yet but from what i have seen I would stay away from that
propeller. They are relatively inexpensive and it shows. You get what you
pay for and that is definetely true in this case. I have never seen a flying
lancair with one of those propellers. Go with what other guys are usign and
have had success with. You are wise to ask.

You do not want to land one of these airplanes off field.
The 2 items I would not scrimp on is engine or propeller...
Your hands will be full enough enough without major potential life changing
complications from one of those items.
If you know what I mean.....

IMHO

Randy Snarr