From: Skip Slater <skipslater@verizon.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Vne is NOT a meaningless number
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 06:19:30 -0500
To: <lml>
Lynn,
   If Lance himself advocates routinely exceeding limitations on the planes he sold, I wonder why he established those numbers in the first place.  The hard truth is that there is a speed at which any airplane will come apart.  How did you determine what that number is for your plane?  In the absence of a definitive, demonstrated number for whichever model of Lancair we fly (which is impossible because they're all built differently), how can you or I or anyone else know that figure short of going out and killing ourselves?  The prudent practice is to observe the limits set by the manufacturer.
   My comments come from my 20,000 hours experience as a Naval Aviator and a Captain for a major airline.  In both of those careers, Vne  (as well as Mmo - max mach number) is a hard and fast limitation.  Those numbers are there for a reason and exceeding them requires a thorough airframe inspection.  My experience tells me that ignoring them is not wise nor a safe thing to do.  If you think it's safe, no one can stop you from doing it.  The reason I chimed in on this thread is that there have been far too many avoidable fatal accidents in Lancairs that have been attributed to pilots doing hazardous things with their planes.  It hurts me personally every time I hear of one of them.  I'd rather throw in my 2 cents worth now and take hits like this for expressing my views than put out an "I told you so" if someone goes out and rips their wings off because a few guys on the LML say they ignore Vne regularly with no problems.
   Finally, my comment about giving pilots who brag about exceeding limits a wide berth is also from my own experience.  I've known several pilots in my 37+ years of flying who have done this.  Many of them are dead.  If I can make a single pilot think twice before exceeding a published limitation, it's worth the hits I take for doing it.
   If one exceeds this limitation, what's the next one they ignore?  It's a bad practice and one I strongly discourage.
   Skip Slater

P.S.  If you can get Lance, Pete or Joe to go on record that there's nothing wrong with ignoring Vne, I'd like to see it.