From: Micah Froese <micah@froese.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: Bahamas Bound or Flying in & out of U.S
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 08:40:06 -0500
To: <lml>
Couple points I'll add to the discussion.  I fly down to the islands 2-3 times a year.  If it hasn't been said yet, use FPR as your return airport if possible.  They are best set up for customs, lunch, fuel, etc.  Unlike the normal procedure at all other airports of waiting patiently inside your aircraft after you land till an officer comes to you, at FPR you gather all your belongings and go inside.  Much better.  Last few times I was able to clear Customs in less than 5 minutes.  Next to Customs is the Tiki Barr Restaurant, always busy, good food, and you can get all needed paperwork there if you stop off before crossing.  They also rent and or sell the required flotation devices.

Bahamas Customs is different at every island.  Some want 1 copy of a form, others want 4.  Never been able to guess, so I don't fill anything out till I get there.  While the agents are always on "island time" and never in a rush, I've never had any issue with them.  Bahama's economy is based mainly on tourism so they don't want to turn anyone away or make it difficult to come back in the county.  Never been asked about my aircraft, even though it's experimental.

Make sure use eAPIS for both legs before you leave.  Should you have any issues getting on the internet in the Bahamas, it is sooooo much easier to call and change you date/time, vs. trying to do it all over the phone.  Also make sure to call the customs office before returning to the states.  I even call them before I'm leaving stateside.  Either way, have their number with you.  FPR customs opens at 10:00 AM, which is the time I aim on being there, so I always called them the afternoon before to let them know I'm coming.  It's not a requirement anymore, but can makes things go more smoothly. I always file IFR so getting there's no issue in getting a squawk code.  Flight there is no different than an IFR flight stateside, other than the fact that you're over water. It's always been a fun trip,

Micah Froese
Lancair Legacy
N171MF