From: Jim Thomas <mypa12@yahoo.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: FuelVenture 400 Results
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:21:12 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
The following is an abbreviated summary of the results of the FuelVenture 400 that was held last Saturday at the Copperstate Fly-In.  There were three different classes; two based on weight and a RV class.  Useful load was limited to 200 pounds per seat and the maximum aircraft weight had to be less than 1000 kg (2200 lbs).  My interest was only in the CAFE Number so I sorted the results by CAFE Number regardless of race class.

As you can see Klaus Savier won the event hands down.  His modified and tweeked VariEze represents the current standard for efficiency.  Lancairs finished 2, 3 & 4 behind Klaus and appear to represent the most efficient design when built and powered close to  the original design.

It should be noted that I flew my Legacy on a typical flight profile with a 2500 rpm climb to 14,500' and then a cruise at 2300 rpm at LOP.  Scott Alair flew his Legacy for minimum fuel flow and maximum mpg using a low rpm setting.  His technique resulted in a higher CAFE Number and lower overall fuel burn.  Our different techniques resulted in me landing about 10 minutes before Scott in the 391 sm race.

The FuelVenture 400 is planned again for next year, so if you are interested in a low stress race, this is the one to fly.

Jim Thomas
Legacy #166

Overall CAFÉ Score Finish

Pilot's Name