From: John Hafen <j.hafen@comcast.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] TIT vs. EGT, strange but true
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 08:58:41 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Re: [LML] TIT vs. EGT, strange but true I’m NO expert, but I was taught to climb out at full throttle.

Upon reaching my cruising altitude, I bring the RPM back to 2450, and set the MP at 32.

At that point I start to lean, and I look at fuel flow rather than TIT.  I lean right down to about 17.5 GPH, then start looking at TIT.

I then watch the TIT while I delicately adjust mixture to get the temps to 1625 – 1650.  It feels good at 1630 - - 1640.  Fuel flow can vary a few tenths.

You may be trying to lean too slowly which will cause your TIT temps to go high.  Leaning a little more aggressively (going right to 17.5 on the fuel flow) might get you “over the hump” to the lean side and allow you to fine tune from there.

At least that works for me the way my engine is set up.  You may want to solicit some opinions from others before you do anything radical.

John Hafen
IVP 413AJ 200 hours
TSIO550

On 10/14/09 7:22 PM, "Steve Richard" <steve@oasissolutions.com> wrote:

I have noticed a strange but reproducible issue with my TIT's (see EIS issues.pdf).  In cruise and with a steady state power setting (EGT's, fuel flow, fuel pressure, man. pressure, rpm all constant), the TIT's climb over 50 degree F over a 1 hour period.  They eventually reach 1650 degrees F and the alarms start to go off.  I richen the mixture to keep the temperature below the recommend 1650.  Once the mixture is richened and the TIT's fall below 1650, the TIT's do not continue to rise for the remainder of the flight.

I would like to start flying LOP but the TIT rise makes the issue a little confusing.

Anyone want to take a shot at this mystery?

Steve Richard

Lancair ES
TSIO550
EIS 6000 engine monitor