From: Marvin Kaye <marvkaye@olsusa.com>
Subject: Forward hinged canopy
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 00:57:04 -0400
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks to Pete and Jim for sharing your comments on the alternative forward
hinge canopy method.  I would be very interested in seeing those DXF files,
Jim, if you wouldn't mind sending them along attached to a private post.
I'd sure appreciate it.

I haven't been able to find the exact data on the web regarding relative
strengths of various AL alloys, yet, although I did manage to come across
one page that showed the tensile strength of 2024 to be about twice that of
6061 in similar temper.  Sounds like an excellent choice given the task at
hand.  I'm having all of my aluminum parts anodized anyway, so sending
along those brackets with one of my upcoming batches would work out just
fine.  You mentioned painting the already anodized aluminum parts, though,
is that really necessary?  I was under the impression that anodizing alone
will provide adequate protection from corrosion without any further coating
required.  Any of you materials guys out there care to comment?

   <Marv>