From: <marv@lancair.net>
Subject: Fwd: OSHKOSH WINNER
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 22:30:54 -0400
To: <lml>

 --- the forwarded message follows ---
From: RICH HENNING <rhgroup@cox.net>
Subject: OSHKOSH WINNER
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 18:53:15 -0700
To: <lml-request@lancaironline.net>
This Legacy is the example of what the  lml listers are asking question about in regards to engine performance and mod's that either work or won't work on there planes.

 List talks about the safety of the canopy being left unlocked, this plane has a electric powered opener that holds the canopy closed is you forget to latch it.  It has a safety pin that can be disconnected if power is lost.  It also has a baggage door on the side of the plane for not only gaining access for items in the rear of the plane  but for loading of the baggage compartment.

We just had a long discussion on carbon hinges.  The cowling is attached with 6 screws on the top section and shows no sign of bulging. It even has the hinge on the top of the cowl.  I think the Plenum has alot to do with the bulging without pressurizing the cowl.  This option is must for Legacy builders.

It has all the mod's to the airframe that are available, has gear door mod to keep doors up with hydraulic pressure instead to electric servo's.

The A/C system incorporates the use of THE SCOOP and was tested on this airplane and showed NO NEGATIVE LOSS OF AIRSPEED and actually showed a
1 to 3 kt INCREASE IN SPEED in flight tests on this Legacy.

The current discussion with cowling pressures is a direct reflection of the mod's that this plane has.  I purchased parts from Andy at AEROCHIA  and modified them to work with the stock Legacy cowling.  This has been such a great improvement to the efficiency of this aircraft in both performance and efficiency of this plane.  I see cylinder temps in the high two hundreds and the low three hundred in cruise,  in climb I NEVER see anything over 350cht.  The oil temps are the most rewarding in that they are actually a little low and have to block off some of the cooler to get the oil HOTTER.  I am in the process of designing a door system to block off some of the air to the cooler.   I have 2 oil temp sensors located at the cooler exit and one on the front of the engine and get almost a 50 degree difference in oil temps.  It is such a pleasure to fly this plane and not have to worry about high oil temps.  You can land this plane and taxi and the oil temps actually go DOWN taxing to the ramp.

I talked to numerous people at Oshkosh and one gentleman that I explained the plenum to said after our discussion.  He thought it worked to WELL and he thought that he would not want it on his plane.  I told him I would like to talk to him after he fly's the plane without it.

One thing I should of said was this is my SECOND Legacy and I did all of these EXTRA MOD'S in a direct relationship of the previous plane.

I run this plane lean of peak and can get ground speeds of 230 to 250mph on 9.5 to 10gph.  This plane also has additional fuel tanks that increase capacity to 75gals so that works to over 6 hour range.

I have  included some additional picture for reference

Thanks for all of the positive remarks on my little project

Image
DSC07025.JPG
Image
DSC07301.JPG