From: John Barrett <2thman@cablespeed.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Alternate air on IVP
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:01:26 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
I'm looking for advice on alternate air for the TSIO-550.  We have set up a
manual actuator in case the spring loaded/magnet feature fails in some
fashion.  I am advised now by a builder assist shop to unhook this because
the cable might hang up if the door pops open and may be more of a hindrance
than a help.

The gentleman suggests that there have been no actual incidences of air
blockage and need for the alternate air because the hole is so large with
the circular filter that you would have to cover the plane with ice to
ingest enough to plug the hole.

Having had engine stoppage three times in my Beech Sierra, I know that snow
storms can readily bring on that condition in the IO 360 with the small flat
intake under the cowl, but wonder if anyone has experience or enlightened
information on whether the manual cable pull should be installed or
disconnected on the Lancair.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

John Barrett, CEO