From: mikeeasley <mikeeasley@aol.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: p-factor takeoff
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 21:08:33 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Terrence,

Going from an aircraft with nosewheel steering to a Lancair certainly requires some getting used to.  Instead of a little right rudder pressure to stay on the centerline, you start out with full right rudder.  On my ES, there's a "dead spot" where the P factor will move the nose left, but the rudder doesn't have enough effectiveness.  If I put the throttle in too slowly, I can't hold the nose on the centerline.  I used to tap the right brake to help through the dead spot.  I've found that getting the throttle in a little quicker creates enough air flow over the tail to keep aircraft on the centerline without using the brakes.  As you accelerate, you can reduce right rudder and stay on the centerline.  You can also start out with the nose pointed slightly right of the centerline.

Mike Easley
Colorado Springs